Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Cultural Liturgies of Elvis

Graceland, Elvis Presley's mansion, is Memphis's best-known tourist attraction. Elvis and his parents moved to Memphis during his teen years, and the city was his home for most of his life. Graceland is also the place of Elvis's death on August 16, 1977. Every year on the anniversary of his death, the Elvis faithful gather on the grounds and streets surrounding Graceland to hold a candlelight vigil and pay tribute to his memory while walking past his final resting place.

How could I pass up such a rich cultural opportunity right here in my own city??

On an unseasonably cool Memphis evening, Das Fenster and I headed to Graceland to attend the 8:30pm vigil marking 36 years since Elvis's passing. (The whole event was streamed live on YouTube.) We arrived around 8:00 and got acquainted with the lay of the land. I'd say the average age of the attendees was about 55. There were a fair number of kids so that is bumping the average down in my head. But when I went to the bathroom, there was no line for me, since I wasn't using a wheelchair or a walker...

The main road in front of the mansion was closed to traffic. There, the fans set up shrines in honor of Elvis with candles, photos, posters, chalk drawings, and other creative memorabilia. We managed to make our way pretty close to the stage as the ceremony was about to begin. As the event progressed, it dawned on me that for the hardcore Elvis devotees, this vigil isn't a joke or something they do ironically. They travel long distances, gathering together every year to mark this solemn occasion because, to them, Elvis holds an almost religious significance in their lives.

This got me thinking about a book I read called Cultural Liturgies. Ok, full disclosure, I only read the first couple of chapters. It was pretty deep. But the main point I got out of it was that humans are formed by ritual, by habit, by repeated actions. Process and practice shape us in ways we don't fully recognize while they are happening. And out of these "liturgies," our attitudes and beliefs are born and come to life.

So now, I give you my (hopefully not too blasphemous) impressions of the Cultural Liturgies of Elvis, interpreted through the most predominant lens I have, my own Christian faith tradition.

Birth remembrances: Christians have Christmas, a day to celebrate the birth of Christ. Elvis fans have Elvismas on January 8, the day of Elvis's birth.

Death commemorations: Christians hold Good Friday services to mark the day that Christ died. They read scriptures and sing songs that touch the hearts of the faithful, such as "Were You There?". Elvis fans hold a candlelight vigil on the night before the anniversary of Elvis's death. Fan club leaders read poetry and lead the assembly in singing songs that bring tears to their eyes, such as "If I Can Dream."

Tattoos: Certain segments of Christian culture have a predilection for proclaiming their faith via tattoo. Same goes for Elvis fans. (Note: if you are thinking about getting Elvis's face tattooed on your bicep, please think long and hard about how The King will look in about 40 years, once gravity takes its toll...)

Pageantry: Many Christian churches put on plays during the year to illustrate tenets of the faith or reenact important moments from scripture. Elvis fans have turned pageantry into an art form in their elaborate Elvis tribute performances. (Note: it is apparently not PC to call these people "Elvis impersonators")

Breaking bread: An important element of Christian ritual is breaking bread in Communion. And most churches are well-known hotbeds of potluck activity. At Elvis remembrance night, the crowd (sadly) did not pass around fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches, but they were available at the snack stand! Those fans who had arrived earlier in the day came bearing coolers, and I suspect that food was shared amongst friends.

..........

The cultural liturgies of Elvis fans are numerous enough to fill a book. Or several. I hope I will not incur any wrath for chronicling just a few here. As a newbie/outsider, I was captivated by what was happening around me. In the end, it made me want to learn more about Elvis. Well look at that, my actions might be shaping my attitudes. Perhaps James K.A. Smith is on to something!

A few photos, to prove I really went :)





1 comment:

  1. In parts of the South, there is a holy trinity of men referred to by the same title, "the King": Jesus, Elvis, and Richard Petty. And they are accorded about the same levels of adoration.

    ReplyDelete