Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Christmas Dinner Observed

I think I've encountered a regional tradition - the Women's Christmas Dinner. The church we attend here started advertising for their dinner months in advance, and I've also seen promotions for other churches holding similar events. Imagining it was a small gathering that only old ladies would go to, I didn't really pay attention to the announcements at first. Before long, I started hearing more people talking about it, younger people, women who appear to be hip. That the event often sells out quickly should have been an indication of its popularity. Another clue would have been that my ticket was for table #64. But I was still clueless when I arrived at the local hotel last week where the event was being held in their largest ballroom.

I discovered there were some 650+ women in attendance! The attendees included women from the church along with their friends, neighbors, and relatives. It's a very festive occasion that people look forward to and talk about afterwards.



Here's how it works. There are tables of 10, and small groups of women will get together to purchase a table (like a Sunday School or Bible study group). Each group is responsible for providing the decorations for their own table, including chargers. The culturally appropriate behavior is to arrive to dinner in advance and walk amongst the tables, expressing your approval of the decor by taking photographs and making comments such as, "isn't that darling!" and "y'all are so creative!"

I comply with cultural convention.





After an appropriate amount of ooh-ing and aah-ing, all the women are seated. The husbands and sons are recruited to volunteer as waitstaff for the evening, to keep costs down. They bring out the bread and entrees and refill water glasses with style.

After dessert is served, the entertainment portion of the evening begins. Various musical performers play/sing Christmas songs, and there is a short drama performed by some teenagers. I try to just be in the moment and accept it for what it is. The performers are into what they're doing and sincere in their efforts. (Some day I need to write a post about sincerity in Memphis --at least as I've observed-- vs. the cynicism/irony so prevalent in Seattle.)

At the end of the night, the appropriate behavior is to help clean up the centerpieces and thank the ladies at your table who provided the lovely decor. And now you know what happens at a Women's Christmas Dinner!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like s great tradition. Did u pay to participate? I would like to be sitting with you at a table like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was only $11 - I heard that it's subsidized by generous donors!

    ReplyDelete