Thursday, March 20, 2014

Dine Around Memphis: International Edition

DF and I like going out to eat at new and different restaurants. If I was making a list, I'd include it among our hobbies. You could probably project all kinds of psychological dimensions on this, like it's because neither of ate at restaurants very often as children...so now we're making up for lost time :)

The last edition of Dine Around Memphis was more domestic-focused. Lately we've been checking out various international flavors. It's a little harder to find "exotic" restaurants here than in Seattle. (There is a serious shortage of teriyaki in Memphis, too.) But if you do a little research, you can find some good choices.

Here's just a sampling of where we've been in the last week or so. (I really do cook at home sometimes, promise! Actually the week before this, we hardly went out at all.)

Sunday - Indian buffet at Mayuri. I LOVE Indian buffets. They are one of my favorite types of restaurants. I like to try a little bit of all the different dishes, because I like almost all Indian food and it's rather boring to have to pick just one. Mayuri's butter chicken is totally delicious. Definitely worth taking a Lactaid to eat it :)  They had some type of cabbage dish this time that I also really liked - bonus - it had lentils!

Monday - in honor of St. Patrick's day, we had Chinese food. Ha ha! This is our tradition actually, starting a few years back. We used to live close to an Irish pub in Seattle, so we walked over there on St. Patrick's Day only to find out they were charging a $10 cover just to get in the door. We were like, "um, no thanks!" and proceeded down the street to our local Chinese establishment. And after that, it became a tradition! This year we did happy hour at P.F. Changs. Not quite as quaint and local, but still pretty tasty.

Tuesday - BBQ. Ok, that's not exactly international. But what would a week of dining in Memphis be without it? Germantown Commissary is da bomb! I got chicken and beans. Their beans are really good. They don't have jalapenos in them like some other BBQ places. And their prices are really reasonable. I mean, $5.45 for half a chicken - who can beat that?!

Wednesday - dinner at church. It was taco salad night. Does that count as being international?

Thursday - the first day of spring is Persian New Year/Nowruz, so I decided we needed to eat something semi-Persian. Yelp directed me to the cumbersomely-named Mediterranean Pita Sandwich & Grill. Oh my word, Memphians who read this blog, you have GOT to try this place. Yes, it is kind of strange because it's half grocery store/half restaurant, and we were the only patrons there, but it is really good! I had the vegetarian platter because it had all the things I love - grape leaves (dolmas), falafel, hummus, and baba ganoush. This restaurant is kind of randomly hidden in the corner of a strip mall so they probably don't get much foot traffic. But seriously, it is worth the drive. Also DF was happy that they don't put onions on their gyros.

Doesn't this all sound tasty? Three cheers to Memphis for being exotic and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment