Thursday, February 15, 2018

Mommy Water Mommy

My kids have started bookending things they say with "Mommy _____ Mommy!" If they want a cookie, it's "Mommy cookie Mommy." I don't even know how to punctuate it - should there be commas? "Mommy, fruit snacks, Mommy." And don't worry, Daddy isn't left out of the mix. "Daddy, train, Daddy!" 

On the one hand, it kind of drives me crazy. Who else would they be asking for water, or a cookie, or fruit snacks when I'm the only grown up home? And why must they say Mommy twice? I heard them the first time!

But on the other hand, how precious is it that I have two little people who rely on me to meet their needs that they keep asking me, by name, to fulfill their requests? And even when I say, "No, we aren't having cookies right now," they don't give up :)

Everyone says these days with little ones don't last forever, and I know it's true. Life is short - too short, we are reminded in times of tragedy. I'm reminded of these song lyrics from Psalm 62. 

Though life is but a fleeting breath,
A sigh too brief to measure,
My King has crushed the curse of death
And I am His forever  

Today, I pray "God, peace, God." "God, love, God." "God, help, God!" Thanks for the reminder, kids. May we raise you to shine your lights into the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment