Monday, September 9, 2013

Whenever

How do use use the word "whenever" in common speech?

Here are some examples of how I would use it.

  • Come over whenever you want; we'll be home all day. (Definition: at any time)
  • Whenever I visit New York, I like to eat bagels. (Describing a habitual/repeated action)

In addition to those two usages, some people in Memphis have added the following option:
  • That park wasn't here whenever I first moved to this neighborhood. They built it about 5 years ago.
  • Whenever I was in third grade, I loved playing baseball.

The best definition I can come up for this usage is equivalent to "when." It's not describing a habitual action - the speaker did not repeatedly move to the neighborhood or repeat 3rd grade over and over. From context, it seems the speaker means to describe one point in time. 

Apparently, I'm not the first person to notice this difference. I'm just calling it a regional variation in English - not saying that it's wrong. It does strike my ears a little strange, though.


1 comment:

  1. Some people in Nashville use "whenever" instead of "when" as well. It drives me crazy! :)

    ReplyDelete