Monday, October 7, 2013

Music Time

Fall continues to be lovely in Memphis, so we're still taking advantage of outdoor activities around town while they last.

Saturday was the first annual Bluff City Oktoberfest. It billed itself as being nothing like a typical Oktoberfest...ok...we gave it a chance anyway and stopped by on Saturday afternoon to listen to a bunch of the live bands play some "Newgrass" tunes. The weather was gorgeous, the crowd was happy, the brats were free. In the background, the Mississippi river lazed by. This was pretty much how I imagined our lives would be when we moved here!!


The guy in the middle is playing the dobro. The girl on the right played the washboard complete with horns, bells, and a slide whistle. It was awesome :)

Sunday, we attended the last free concert of the season at the Levitt Shell. It was a cool band/singer with a mix of blues, jazz, R&B, and soul. Groovy, baby! The show didn't start until 7:30pm (after the sun had set) and the temperature dropped to the low 60s. I've lost my NW toughness and was wrapped up in a blanket after about 30 minutes. 


There were a lot of groupies!

And finally, in Salmonista news, I decided to take up an instrument of my own. Before we'd even ever thought of moving to the South, back when we lived in Seattle, I made it my New Year's resolution to learn to play the fiddle. I got into bluegrass music a few years ago and just thought it would be cool to be able to play a mad fiddle tune. So I took lessons for a little less than a year before we moved. Last week I decided it was time to stop procrastinating so I found myself a local teacher, rented a violin, and now I'm ready to get back in the saddle (so to speak).


Will I be playing at a local festival someday?? Ha ha, I doubt it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment