Friday, March 13, 2015

Sip and See

Quiz: What does "sip and see" mean?

A: Finding out what animal is hiding in the bottom of your mug
B: A slang term for checking out the hotties at the bar
C: Drinking punch and cooing over a new baby

The answer is....C!

The sip 'n' see, as it's usually called, is a southern tradition that I'd never heard of before moving here. From what I can gather, it's an event that is held relatively soon after the birth of a new baby, where everyone comes over to see the little one and have some drinks and snacks. You can have one for your first baby. I think that for 2nd and subsequent babies, they kind of take the place of a pre-birth baby shower, presumably because the family already has a lot of the gear they'll need left over from kid #1.

A few weeks ago, I got to attend a sip 'n' see myself for a first-hand cultural experience! The event was for a friend who'd given birth to her second child about a month before. It was hosted at another friend's house. Not sure if people host their own sip 'n' sees or not...more field research is needed. Luckily for me, word got around that mom was most interested in receiving diapers and wipes, which made present shopping easy. 

I forgot to take very many pictures, but here's a couple. I've learned that decorations are essential for all southern events. Check out those fancy paper flowers!


Isn't that a lovely punch bowl? I sipped happily :)


No comments:

Post a Comment