Sunday, March 22, 2015

BBQ

It occurs to me that I've never given my readers a proper explanation of BBQ. Read on! My aim is to educate the non-southerners in the audience, but if I've mis-spoken, I hope the Memphians will correct me (kindly) :)

Q: What do you mean by "barbecue"?
A: Barbecue (and I believe it is culturally appropriate to abbreviate BBQ) in Memphis means pork that has been slow-cooked over wood. The most common cuts of meat are pork shoulder (for pulled pork) and ribs. You can also find BBQ chicken and beef brisket in Memphis, but those are the exception, not the rule.

It is very tasty...look at this mouth-watering photo!

Q: What is the best BBQ sauce for Memphis-style ribs?
A: Trick question! Real Memphis BBQ uses a dry rub to season the meat, not sauce. Sauce is commonly added to pulled pork, though. As best as I can tell, authentic Memphis sauce is tomato-based and a little sweet. Spice level can vary. It's definitely not mustardy like that gross stuff they serve over in the Carolinas!

Q: What side dishes are best with BBQ?
A: I'd be remiss if I didn't mention all the scrumptious side dish options! Meat is just one part of the meal. Common sides include coleslaw, baked beans (usually with meat bits in them), potato salad, deviled eggs, collard/turnip/mustard greens, potato chips, green beans (again, with meat bits), fries, and the ever-popular mac & cheese. Most places also give you some white bread or rolls, if you didn't already order a sandwich. In case you didn't pick up on it, BBQ is not a very vegetarian-friendly cuisine.

Q: Who has the best BBQ in Memphis?
A: I know better than to touch that question with a 10 foot pole! Personally, I appreciate BBQ nachos wherever they can be found :) That means tortilla chips covered in pulled pork, BBQ sauce, and cheese sauce. The adventurous eater can also add jalapenos.

Q: I am a Yankee moving to Memphis. I want to invite my new friends over for a BBQ. Do you think they will come?
A: Probably. First, check the college football/basketball schedule so you don't have a date conflict. Then, make sure you call the event a "grill out" or a "cook out." We don't say "a barbecue" here. It's not used as a countable noun. BBQ refers to pork that is cooked as described above. I'm pretty sure that if you say "we're grilling out," you are allowed to serve hamburgers and potato chips, or whatever else you like to cook on the grill. But fair warning, if you serve Tofurky dogs, you're not going to win many friends that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment