Friday, April 10, 2015

Not the Easter I Was Expecting

Disclaimer: this post is purposely vague in places because I don't really feel like sharing all my personal information on the internet. If you know me IRL and want to ask more about what's going on, feel free!

In case you didn't know, dear reader, Salmonista is with child. Two little hatchlings, to be exact, and they're expected to make their debut this summer. DF and I are quite excited about this new adventure in life!

I'm about halfway through the pregnancy now. Late last week, I started feeling sick, and not in a normal pregnant kind of way. I went to the doctor and, long story short, wound up in the hospital on Good Friday having abdominal surgery to deal with the issue. Whoa, that kind of came out of nowhere! I did my best to be brave, but to be honest, I was scared. Who wants to have a doctor operating in such close proximity to your little babies?? And to make matters more complicated, the surgery turned out to not be entirely successful. The doctors discovered that the issue will need to wait until after pregnancy to be fully resolved. So now I'm left to recover from an operation while my mid-section keeps expanding over the coming months. Ooooh boy, this should be fun.

I had to stay in the hospital until Sunday afternoon. DF was a dear and slept on the couch in my room for the weekend so I didn't have to be alone, even though he got woken up all night by various beeping machines and medical personnel. He is already being a great dad!

I've been a bit overwhelmed by the love and support we've encountered here through this ordeal. I never had any major medical issues out in Seattle so I didn't get a chance to test my network, but we'd lived there for quite awhile and I'm pretty sure our friends would have rallied to the occasion :)  What I didn't know was that we also have a lot of people here in Memphis who care about us. From the friends who dropped everything to help us out with transportation needs, to the steady stream of visitors through my hospital room, to the overflowing containers of delicious food currently stocking our refrigerator, to the calls/texts/emails from so many people, I really do feel the Southern love. And that's not even counting the check-ins (and flowers) from relatives in other parts of the country!

This whole medical issue thing isn't really over yet, but I'm definitely on the mend, thanks to modern pharmaceuticals. I would like to get back to being a "normal" pregnant person soon but that ship may have sailed. I'm hyper-aware of every ache and pain as a potential harbinger of another health crisis. Hope these little guys will appreciate the pain and suffering their mom is going through for them, but I hear kids never really grasp it. And so begins motherhood... :)

 Cheerful frogs and flowers to brighten my mood

And on Easter afternoon, up from the hospital bed I arose!


No comments:

Post a Comment