Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Current Events

I came across a "mommy blog" the other day in which the author basically said she doesn't have time to follow the news because she's too busy taking care of her kids. Hmmmm, but she still has time to write a mommy blog, eh?

With only 6 months of experience under my belt (or 12 months if you count 6 x 2 babies), I'm no parenting expert. But it seems to me that I still have some amount of freedom when it comes to personal pursuits. It's all about priorities. And, it probably also has to do with what one was into before the kids came along. My suspicion is that the above blogger never really paid much attention to the news before she became a mom, and now she has a convenient excuse of "the kids need me."

Sure, I don't have time to read The Economist cover to cover each week, but I never did that anyway :) I do still check Facebook fairly often, and my friends are always posting links to newsworthy articles. Even if that's all the news I consumed, I would at least be semi-informed about what's happening in the world. As it is, I also have a news app on my phone where I can read the top stories. When I have a little free time, there are also a couple news sites I like to read.

Keeping up on current events is something that's important to me not only as a global citizen, but also as a mother. I want to teach my kids to be engaged in the world around them. How can I help them learn if I'm not informed myself?

Other parents have other priorities, whether it's practicing a musical instrument, pursuing a volunteer activity, staying fit, or keeping up with the latest Star Wars release. And that's a good thing! I have a feeling if we allow our children to become our sole focus in life, we're going to go crazy before too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment