Wednesday, June 8, 2016

People That You Meet

Almost every time I take the kids out in public, someone has to comment on the fact that they are twins, or tell me a story about twins they know, etc. I'm getting used to it. But I've had a couple noteworthy interactions in the last week or so. I will now share them with the world!

(Kroger is our local grocery store, for any non-Memphians reading this blog)

Me: walking past the meat department in Kroger with the babies
Random lady who appears to be 60ish: "Oh, triplets!"
Me: holding up 2 fingers "Nope, just twins" and trying not to roll my eyes at her

Me: meandering slowly down the dairy aisle at Kroger looking for on sale yogurt and narrating the experience to the babies
Random lady who appears to be 80ish: "Oh, twins. How sweet! You know, I'm a twin too. My twin brother just died."
Me: "Oh my, I'm so sorry to hear that"
Lady: "I feel like I lost half of myself."
Me: feeling awkward that this stranger is sharing her grief with me, but trying to look at her kindly
Lady: (to the babies) "You've got a good mama here. I can tell she's taking good care of you."
Me: wondering if telling your kids about yogurt is a sign of stellar mothering, but I'll take the compliment :)

Me: just finished checking out at Target using the self-check machine, heading out of the store
Random lady with 3 boys: "Oh look boys, they are twins just like you!"
Me: noticing that two of the kids look quite similar, "Yes, you used to be small just like these guys and everyone probably asked your mom if you were twins"
Lady: "Don't worry, it does get easier!"
Me: Smiling, "So I hear," meanwhile thinking to myself--I heard your kids making a ruckus and fighting over who got to scan things at the self-check while my two little guys sat contentedly in their stroller chewing on toys...I think that going to Target is only going to get harder, actually!

No comments:

Post a Comment