Tuesday, June 21, 2016

They Are Not Double Trouble!

I'm sorry I sort of complained about normal, well-intentioned people who make remarks to me about twins at the grocery store and other public places. You know what? If a nice person smiles and asks if the boys are twins, or tells me a brief twin anecdote, I'm going to happily go along with the pleasant interaction.

However, even if you look like a kindly grandma, I draw the line at following us around the Dollar Tree practically shrieking about how this is the best day of your life because you got to see my kids, then when you notice I'm buying a Father's Day balloon telling me a story about some twins you knew where one twin died from eating a balloon that popped... Yes, that literally happened...

And one more thing, strangers: stop calling my boys "Double Trouble." It's annoying! This phrase is almost always uttered with a chuckle by men over the age of 50. But when they say it, the twins aren't causing any trouble. They are sitting calmly in their stroller, watching the world go by. Why can't you just say something banal like, "Oh, twins!"

I didn't know I had this defensive mama bear streak in me. I thought I'd be one of those moms who is like, "Ha ha, my kids are so entertaining and I don't care if you say sarcastic things about them." But then these strangers jokingly call them trouble, and I'm all like, "Oh no you didn't! They are precious gifts from God and don't you imply otherwise!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment