Tuesday, August 9, 2016

My Brain Is Done...No Clever Title

For the last week and a half, my hobbies have been as follows:


  • Taking baby temperatures (using my super-handy forehead scanner thermometer!)
  • Obsessing about results of said forehead scans
  • Snuffing out little noses
  • Calling the pediatrician's nurse line
  • Googling symptoms and remedies
  • Trying to convince myself the babies don't need to see a doctor yet
  • Taking babies to the doctor anyway
  • Rocking crying babies
  • Experimenting with baby dietary changes
  • Not sleeping
  • Grouching at everyone
  • Worrying
  • Doubting my calling as a mother, as my patience evaporates


In other words, the kids are sick again. Baby B came down with the unknown illness first. It lasted about 5 days. He finally recovered a few days ago, and then Baby A woke up with a fever yesterday. Arrrrg!

I know people say, "Oh, kids get sick all the time. Don't worry about it." How am I NOT supposed to worry when my kid's temperature rises to 105 degrees?! That is not 100.5, it is 105. At 3AM. PANIC MODE! Actually, I was too tired to totally panic. I gave him Tylenol, fed him a cool bottle, and attempted to lay a wet rag on his head (he wasn't a big fan of that 3rd technique). Within an hour, the fever dropped back to the 99-degree range and he fell asleep on my lap. Successful mothering!

But guess I do obsess a bit much over their health in general. Part of it is probably because they started out as NICU babies, so I view them as kind of medically fragile. Really, that's unfounded though b/c they were quite healthy in the hospital and even got to come home before their original due date. I really need to get a handle on my hypochondria before the nurse line cuts me off. They still call me back pretty promptly and I'm always sure to thank them for their advice. They say, "Call anytime - that's what we're here for!" But I bet they are blessing my heart up and down behind my back...

No comments:

Post a Comment