Monday, July 17, 2017

Goodbye vs. See You Later

For a kid who spent the first 18 years of her life in the mid-Willamette valley, I sure have moved a lot in the subsequent 18(+) years. Here's a brief synopsis of where my moves have taken me: OR-WA-DC-WA-TN-soon to be CA. And there was also 1 college semester abroad in Costa Rica, if you want to count it :)

I've moved for school, for love, and for work (or more accurately, husband's job). Thanks to social media, I've been able to keep in touch with family and friends across the miles. And sometimes I've been fortunate enough to return for visits to places I've left behind. When I departed DC for Seattle, for instance, I had no idea that I'd be flying back to our nation's capital a mere 6 months later to attend a conference for my new job!

When we moved from Seattle to Memphis four years ago, I kept my same job; I just transitioned to working from home. Before we even loaded up our moving truck, I already had plane tickets purchased to fly back to SeaTac for two different exchange student events in the summer (and I managed to squeeze in some friend-visiting time, too!)

But what about our imminent departure from Memphis? Since we're moving for DF's job and I'm not currently working outside the home, we have no work ties to the Bluff City. We don't own any property here. We have made some wonderful friends, but we have no family in the area. All these different circumstances make me wonder, when will we be back to visit Memphis? The twisting paths of life can't always be predicted. We may pass through the mid-South again soon, or our road might go a different way. But hey, given my track record, maybe I'll get a job in Los Angeles that requires travel to Memphis or surrounding areas!

No comments:

Post a Comment