Friday, July 14, 2017

Thank You, Memphis!

As our time in Memphis comes to a close, I've been reflecting on all the kindnesses, big and small, we've been shown here.

I remember a few months back when our pastor said (in a sermon) that Southern Christians have to work even harder to show God's love to their neighbors because being nice is just the Southern way. I chuckled b/c I thought he was kidding. But based on comments I heard later on that day, I think my fellow parishioners agreed with his line of reasoning; they were pondering ways to go "above and beyond" expected neighborliness!

Here's a list of what I can recall that people in Memphis have done for us, just to be nice:

  • Unloaded our moving truck and took us out for lunch
  • Invited us to dinner and a movie after meeting us once
  • Became friends with us even though we're total Yankees :)
  • Picked me up from a medical procedure involving anesthesia when DF couldn't miss work
  • Gave us rides when we only had one car, or carpooled just to be friendly
  • Offered us free tickets to local events
  • Invited us to numerous holiday celebrations in homes when we weren't able to be with family
  • Packed our apartment when I was 6 months pregnant 
  • Offered a "parents of twins" discount on rent
  • Helped us move in the sticky summer heat
  • Threw an elaborate baby shower that unexpectedly moved to a meeting room at the hospital b/c I was on bedrest at the time
  • Visited me in the hospital 
  • Brought us meals for months after the babies were born
  • Gave the boys hand-me-down clothes
  • Surprised us with black eyed peas for New Years
  • Ran an extension cord to our freezer to keep the contents from melting when a branch fell on our power line
  • Provided airport transportation
  • Hid Easter eggs in the yard for our kids to find
  • Babysat the kids for free
  • Warmly welcomed my mother when she came for an extended visit - took her to lunch, connected her with a Sunday School class at church
  • And many more!!!


Well, South, you've definitely got a good thing going here, and I hope y'all keep being as sweet as sweet tea to newcomers :)  It's going to be hard to say goodbye! I wonder if people in LA will be as friendly? Kind of doubt it...but I'll do what I can to keep spreading the love!

No comments:

Post a Comment