Saturday, September 9, 2017

Modern Living with Toddlers

I'm really digging living in a modern apartment building. This complex was built in 2006, which is like a full half-century later than our previous residence's birthdate. I mean, I'm not knocking our old house in Memphis. For a place built in the 50s, it was pretty good. It was full of charm and character, like the built in telephone nook in the hallway and the wonky wiring. Take the kitchen, for instance. There were a total of 4 outlets in the whole kitchen. I mean, like plugs. So two outlets with two plugs each. And the washing machine was plugged in to one of them, so that left 3 available for general use (including the microwave).

Meanwhile, I just counted the plugs in my new kitchen and there are 14 plugs. Whoa! 14, just in the kitchen! And the microwave is mounted above the stove so it isn't even using up a counter top plug. It feels so luxurious! Right now I have a phone charger, coffee pot, and toaster plugged in. There's still space to power up all my other kitchen appliances if my heart desired! (Note: I am not confident the fuse box could handle all that excitement.) I've even gotten into using the "delay brew" feature on my coffee pot, since I can prep it the night before and leave it plugged in. As I'm typing this, I realize there's no reason I could not have done this in Memphis, too...oh well, I shall enjoy it now ;)

At any rate, access to electricity is a bonus of living in a huge apartment complex. One of the downsides, I'm finding, is that it's such a production to leave the apartment, particularly when it's just me and the boys. Here's how a trip to the store looks.

Goal: get two toddlers, one mother, and one wagon from a 3rd floor apartment into the van parked in the garage on level P3. Go to store. Buy groceries. Return to apartment with all humans + groceries intact.

First, we get ourselves and our stuff ready to go, which is really a separate subject. To reach the garage, we have to walk down the hall and around the corner to the elevator. There are I think 4 apartments between us and the elevator (on each side of the hall). We're usually taking the wagon with us, so that means the boys have to fight over who is going to pull it, then flop down in the middle of the hall and refuse to walk regardless of if they got their way or not. Also they stop at every door to point at the doorbell and say "ding dong," and they also need to point out all the fire extinguishers/fire hose hook ups by saying "wee-ooh" like a fire truck. Oh, and lately Gibson has insisted on taking his big, fuzzy blankie everywhere we go, so that's in the wagon as well. Once we get to the elevator, we've got to try and only push the down arrow button.

When the elevator arrives, we have to get all 3 people + a big wagon on board. This is more difficult when there are other passengers. Then the kids have to try and push all the buttons, including the alarm. Once we finally get down to the parking garage, someone is usually too captivated by buttons to exit the elevator, but the other one bolts out the door. So I'm standing there blocking the door from closing, grabbing one kid while hollering at the other to stay close to me.

We make our way over to the van, possibly fighting about the wagon again. I buckle them in to their car seats as quick as I can, but I have to keep the other kid from running around the semi-busy garage. I try not to let kid #2 wait in the car while #1 is getting buckled bc inevitably they crawl up to the driver's seat and push all the buttons/pull all the levers while chirping, "drive! drive!" and #1 gets jealous and then *really* won't let me fasten his buckle.

Ok, so now we're all in the car and can proceed to the grocery store. That part is relatively similar to Memphis, I'd say. I still use our double stroller in the store bc they have not quite shown themselves mature enough to handle riding in a cart together if they aren't both buckled in...but they are becoming more and more resistant to the stroller, so I might need to explore other options soon.

Once we have all our groceries and load back up in the car, we head home. Now, we have to reverse the process to get back upstairs from the parking garage, except at this point the wagon is half-full of food that the boys want to take out and inspect. I try to get both of them to squeeze into the remaining space. Usually at least one of them hops out while we approach the elevator so he can push the buttons.

As we get close to our apartment, they remember our neighbor around the corner who has a decorative fountain (no water) with glass pebbles in front of their door. Why, oh why, must you have such an enticing display, dear neighbor? The boys take off squealing and running around the corner while I say, "Boys! Only look at the rocks, no touching! Just say hi to the rocks!" They don't heed my directions, but rather gleefully toss handfuls of pebbles across the hallway. I let them have their moment while I drag the wagon into our apartment, then I go and grab them and return the rocks. They both insist on ding-donging our doorbell before coming inside.

Whew! After all that, it's time for a rest, I'd say!

No comments:

Post a Comment