Monday, September 25, 2017

Rabbit Trails of Parenting

We've been in our new state for more than a month now, and I've decided it's time to get a handle on life. They say that when you move to a new place, you're supposed to go through a "honeymoon" period. Hmm, I guess I was pretty excited about the palm trees and sunsets the first few days. But once DF left town, we crashed into crisis/frustration/depression mode rather quickly. Last week, Auntie Hipster came to visit and buoyed all our spirits! So now I'm ready to recommit to being a good mom and move out of survival mode.

Goal #1: Break the all-day-and-night pacifier habit. 
Seriously, it's bad. We've already struggled with this issue before, but with the move, wow, things really got out of hand. When we were driving all day, it was easy to pop in a pacifier to keep them content in the back seat. But once we arrived to our new home, well, the whining just seemed to increase. Everything was new, and I could tell they felt unsettled. So I got more and more lax about restricting pacifier usage. Since DF's been gone, I admit that I haven't been coping as well I could be and just didn't feel like listening to fussing. It got to the point that as soon as a meal was over, they're saying "fa-fye, fa-fye" (that means pacifier). Their speech is nearly incomprehensible with a blob of silicone in their mouths, and I've decided it's time I enforce some limits around here. Also, I feel the invisible peer pressure of none of the other kids at the park walking around with pacis...Californians!

Anyway, that's a long backstory to explain why I was Googling "pacifier weaning methods" recently. The internet helpfully informed me that I never should have let my kids use a pacifier to begin with, or if I did I certainly should have weaned them off it by 6 months. Um yeah, thanks internet.

Then before I knew it, I'm reading articles about the brain damage I'm inflicting by letting them watch TV. And then I find out people think the way I'm feeding them is all wrong. And after that there's another rabbit trail or two. Soon, I'm overwhelmed and feeling like a failure as a mother.

But wait, I tell myself. The internet doesn't know everything. Parents have to make the best decisions with the resources they have available to them. Right now,  I'm trying to help my kids (and myself) adjust to a new environment. Maybe I'll make some trade-offs, like more TV time than we used to have, and eating more chicken nuggets, but we also play outside more too since the weather is nicer here. I mean, I am literally spending all day, every day with them right now. Mama's gotta stay sane somehow.

For now, operation Gently Limit Pacifier Usage is underway. It's a bit too early to report on its outcome. I'll let you know how it goes, and in the meantime, I'll try not to Google too many parenting-related questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment