Monday, June 24, 2013

Critters

Life in the south is full of creepy-crawly critters. My coping skills aren't very well developed. So far there's been a lot of shrieking, squashing, and scurrying away.

Here's a list of what I've found INSIDE the apartment so far:
  • Spider carcass (upon move in)
  • Mosquito
  • Clear spider
  • Brown spiders
  • Slug (seriously, since when do slugs come indoors?)
  • Fruit flies
  • Cricket
  • Potato bugs, aka pill bugs, aka roly-poly
  • A couple other unidentified small bugs
  • Little cockroach
  • HUGE cockroach

In addition to the above, this is what we have OUTSIDE:

After the cockroach sighting in the bathroom, I went into full combat mode. I decided it probably came in through a hole in the back wall, under the sink, where the pipes are. So, after fully disinfecting the bathroom, I used packing tape to cover every possible crevice or little hole where a bug could come through. We are also closing the drain stopper in the sink when not in use. I put in a maintenance request with the building management to come seal up the holes, but who knows if they will take my concerns seriously. Some people here have the philosophy of, "It's the south, so you're just going to have roaches." Uh, no, I am not interested in that!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, be on the lookout for interesting bugs to bring to the science mom. It is bug collecting year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I'm trying to imagine how I would transport the bugs...TSA might give my bag extra scrutiny if there are a bunch of carcasses inside.

    ReplyDelete