Friday, June 21, 2013

The Uses of Y'all

Y'all = you all. It's used for a group of 2 or more people, regardless of gender. This is common in the southern U.S. I have tried using it once so far and felt like an awkward Yankee! I didn't realize how much I say "you guys" until I was surrounded by "y'all."

Quiz: list the different ways "y'all" may be used in a sentence.

1. Pronoun

Example: Where are y'all from? 

2. Possessive Adjective

Example: Bless y'all's hearts! [Context: we told someone in the apartment leasing office that we had just arrived from Seattle via moving truck. This was her response.]

3. Possessive Pronoun

Example: Is this y'all's? [Context: checker at Target, asking if the items on the conveyer belt belonged to us, or to the next customer.]

Those are the three uses I've encountered so far. I wasn't sure about apostrophe placement, so I hope this site led me in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment