Friday, September 30, 2016

Geographical Politics

Here's a fairly obvious observation: some people are really into politics. Let me clarify - certain people identify parts of the country as "desirable" or "undesirable" based on the region's political leanings. We hadn't even lived in TN for a year when a woman I'd just met learned we moved from Seattle. She replied, "Oh, how did you stand living there? It's so liberal!" I thought this was a strange thing to say to a person to whom she'd just been introduced. What did she know about my personal political beliefs at that point? Nothing. And we weren't talking about anything remotely political before I mentioned where I used to live, so why did she leap to that topic?

I just don't get it. When I meet a new person, it has never occurred to me to comment on the "redness" or "blueness" of the person's home state. For example, let's say I met someone from Rhode Island. First of all, I'd be excited because it's a pretty small state, and there aren't too many Rhode Islanders running around! So I'd probably comment on that. Second, I'd say, "Oh, my cousin went to college in Newport! She really loved it." See what I did there? I said something positive about the area in attempts to form a connection with this stranger and be friendly. This is what I thought Southerners were supposed to be good at! And really, almost all Southerners are. Usually when I mention I'm from the NW, I hear comments like, "Oh, we went on vacation to Washington State a few years ago and just loved it!" Or, "What a beautiful part of the country! I'd love to visit Crater Lake someday." Or even, "Does it really rain as much as everyone says?" I don't really mind that last one because the person is asking for more information.

What I would not say about Rhode Island is, "Ugh, that state is so full of liberal Yankees!" Do you know why not? Because that isn't very friendly. And I've never even been there, so how do I know?

I mean, spoiler alert, I tend to be fairly liberal myself. I grew up in the NW, you know! It seeped into my bones, like moss growing on rocks in the damp winters. Do people here assume that I must be conservative because I live in Tennessee now? Most likely, any liberal tendencies I was harboring washed away as I crossed the mighty Mississippi...right?

Perhaps this is a generational difference. There have been maybe three Southerners total who've made these sorts of comments to (upon first introduction), and all of them have been a good 30+ years my senior. 

I suspect this is not just a Memphis phenomenon though, because when we announced we were leaving Seattle for the South, I had a couple NW friends say similar things to me, but in reverse. (Like, "Oh, I could never live there! It's so conservative!") And those people were of my generation. Uh oh, the polarization is spreading... 

My advice is, get to know your neighbors and be nice to people, regardless of who you're voting for in the upcoming election!

P.S. On second thought, if I met a person from North Korea, I would probably feel compelled to comment on politics, at least to the effect of, "Wow, I've heard that's a really closed country! How did you get out of there?" But other than NK, I shall attempt not to bring up politics upon first meeting someone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment