Monday, October 3, 2016

Just a Flesh Wound

Oh, I am not emotionally prepared to be raising two rambunctious boys. Too many opportunities for injury!

This weekend, we received our monthly delivery of diapers and related paraphernalia from Amazon. Normally, I toss the big cardboard shipping box in recycling, but DF suggested letting the boys play in it for awhile. It was a huge hit, of course! They loved it! We set the box down on its side so the boys could crawl in and out of it, swing the flaps around, and have fun. I was glad to see them enjoying their new "toy," but I couldn't help hovering next to them like a helicopter; I foresaw a high potential for injury with both of them literally bouncing off the cardboard walls.

Well, even though I was sitting 3 feet away from them watching them like a hawk, they still managed to hurt themselves! Gibson was inside the box, pushing on one side, when all of a sudden Gus crawled over and pushed in the same direction. It was a slow motion box somersault that I jumped up too late to stop. Gus cried a little, but Gibson really wailed so I picked him up. Then I looked down at my shirt and saw he was drooling blood on my shoulder. Upon closer inspection, I could see two little teeth marks where he'd bit his lower lip. Poor kiddo! I grabbed a wet washcloth for him to chew on. The bleeding stopped in like 30 seconds. Yeah, fairly minor injury...

I quickly banished the box to the kitchen and announced that they boys were never playing in a cardboard box again! DF raised his eyebrows and said something to the effect of, "You know they're going to get hurt sometimes, right?" "No!" I replied. "It's my job to protect them from everything!" DF thinks I can't do that, nor should I.

Sigh. He has a point. Most childhoods worth their salt include a handful of skinned elbows and knees, and maybe even a broken bone or two. Plus who's never sat around with friends swapping scar stories? I suppose most scars result from injury. But, ack, I don't like seeing my kids in pain!!

Today is garbage/recycling day, yet the box is still sitting in the kitchen. I relented. Maybe we can find a way to wedge the box between other things so it can't tip over as easily. The children's fun can continue, and I'll keep hovering nearby...

No comments:

Post a Comment