Wednesday, October 26, 2016

It's the Same Old Song

Our choir is singing a song this Christmas that incorporates "Of the Father's Love Begotten," a hymn that was most likely written in the 300s. We are talking over 1700 years ago, people! I believe the melody is slightly more recent, perhaps medieval. Wow! I think it's so cool to sing an ancient song that countless generations before me have sung. 

What's the oldest song you know? Historians tell us that the oldest song in the world came from ancient Sumer and is approximately 3,400 years old. I listened to it...not very catchy. But hey, who am I to judge another culture's taste in music?

You probably know Yankee Doodle, and guess what, it's pretty old, too. I mean, not ancient, but old by American standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment