Friday, October 21, 2016

16 Months

I haven't done a "monthly" update in awhile so I figured it was about time to record their latest milestones!

Large Motor Skills
-Both boys are walking like pros now! About two weeks ago, Gibson really took off and now likes to walk all over the house. After a slow start to the walking game, Gus is right on his heels. It's so adorable to see them toddling all over the place like real toddlers, haha. They fall over all the time when walking, so they still crawl a lot, too. I'd say it's maybe 30% walking and 70% crawling right now. Maybe 40/60, depends on the day. I need to get them some real shoes so we can try walking outside at the park. Currently they just have soft sole Robeez for wearing in the nursery.

Fine Motor Skills
-They are obsessed with picking up little crumbs or pieces of fuzz they find on the floor. Tiny little things! Then they play with them and try to eat them. I assume this is good for their fine motor skills.
-I try to get them to color with crayons once in awhile, but they aren't too interested in it. I mean, they like to chew on crayons of course. But I don't think they grasp the concept of coloring on paper yet.

Play Time
-They love to put things into containers, like putting a ball into a box and shaking it around. This is supposed to be a developmental milestone, right? Mainly, they seem to find it entertaining.
-Emptying the recycling bin is one of their favorite pastimes. I have to make sure to put any metal and glass directly into the can outside; they have fun with yogurt containers and cardboard.
-Lately they've really gotten into stuffed animals, like hugging them and playing with them. I can see the little wheels turning in their heads as they realize that different toys have different purposes. (Now let's be honest, all toys are useful for whacking your brother, but some of them also have other uses!)
-We are now putting them both in the bath together. (I finally decided they were good enough at sitting still that they weren't too likely to drown.) They splash with enthusiasm and scream when it's time to get out!

Language
-They don't say a whole lot of words yet, just Mama, Dada, dog, ball, banana, and nigh nigh [meaning pacifier]. However, they do make lots of intelligible sounds! They can make noises like meow, woof, howl, moo, and cheep. They also like to make a "blub-blub-blub" noise by strumming their lips with their fingers. We have this musical turtle toy and they will sing along with me when I say "la la la." Otherwise, they communicate their desires by pointing, grunting, and saying "ah ah!"

Eating
-Both boys are doing great drinking from sippy cups. Gus was on a drinking strike for awhile there, so it's nice to see him consuming liquid again.
-They have definitely gotten more picky in the last few months. They won't eat several foods that they used to wolf down, like peaches and pears. But, they're also fairly open to trying new things. I made a dairy-free version of tater tot casserole that they thought was tasty. (I think that milk upsets their tummies, so we're currently avoiding dairy.)
-They have 6 teeth now, 4 on top and 2 on bottom. 

Personalities
-I'm starting to think they might both be extroverts. They are almost always happy when we are out and about, waving at the shoppers in Kroger or random people at the park. They love playing with other kids in the nursery at church. When we just stay home all day and don't go anywhere, they get kind of grouchy. Or, maybe I get grouchy and it rubs off on them...? 

Understanding Life
(I don't really know what to call this category)
-They understand the word "no" and hate to hear it! This morning, Gibson was trying to push a chair over on top of Gus. I said, "No no, that's not nice" and both boys collapsed on the floor, crying. Sheesh boys, I didn't even yell at you!
-They've figured out who Elmo is and run over to the TV, smiling and giggling, when he comes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment