Thursday, July 25, 2013

An Unremarkable Walk

Nothing exciting has been happening around here lately, so I decided to regale you with a tale of my morning walk.

It's a really nice day in Memphis. At 9:00am, the temperature was 70 degrees. That is cool, literally! Also it was hardly humid. So I decided I needed to get a refreshing iced coffee to start the morning right. We only have one car which Das Fenster drives to work. This means I must rely on my own 2 feet to get around town. (Before all the bike fanatics start telling me to get a bike, yes, I recognize that the bicycle is a convenient form of transportation. But we have nowhere to store a bike here. Someday when we have a garage, or a shed, or space to hang up a bike hook, I'll look into it.)

The closest Starbucks is 1.3 miles away. The prospect of a 2.6 mile round trip walk for coffee seemed daunting. Instead, I decided to head down to the closest main road near our apartment and see what I could find. What did I come across? McDonalds. Since I'm trying not to be snob here, I opted to give it a chance.

Have you ever had iced coffee from McDonalds? This was my first time trying it. The cashier asked if I wanted to add a flavor. Assuming the coffee might be gross, I added vanilla to be on the safe side. The resulting beverage tastes like watery vanilla syrup with a hint of coffee flavoring. It also has a strange fruity aftertaste. Bizarre. At least it looks nice sitting on my window sill.


With the Monopoly promo going on, I upgraded to a medium beverage, hoping that the extra 20 cents would result in me winning an awesome prize. It did not. However I do have St. Charles Place and New York Avenue tickets now. If you need these ones and want to split a prize, we may be able to come to an agreement :)

No comments:

Post a Comment