Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Atlanta

Work took me to Atlanta for a quick trip earlier this week. It was my first time to ATL airport since I was about 12 and my family got stuck there during a thunderstorm delay. This visit was much more pleasant, and I actually got to leave the airport, so I can legitimately say I've visited the state of Georgia now.

Observation: I got called "honey," "love," and "sweetie" by people in service professions. 
Conclusion: Atlanta is a bit more affection that Memphis, where I've only been called "sweetie" so far.

Observation: Despite hardly going outside at all, I somehow got about 5 mosquito bites the first day I was there.
Conclusion: Georgian mosquitoes are vicious, stealthy bloodsuckers.

After I was done with job responsibilities on Tuesday afternoon, I decided to hop on Atlanta's metro system called MARTA at the airport to go explore downtown. It turned out to be more of an adventure than I'd bargained for! A stop or two from the main downtown transfer point, a couple guys got on the train loudly advertising, "Purses! Purses! You can buy them for $45 in the stores, but we've got them for $5 here!" This behavior seemed to be a violation of the "No Vending" rule that I'd seen on the list of MARTA rules clearly posted in each car. Also, one of the sellers sat down next to me and tried to flirt with me. I gave him my best indifferent scowl and he got off the train shortly thereafter. That was kind of an odd experience.

Leaving the weirdos behind, I walked over to Centennial Olympic Park where there are fountains laid out to look like the Olympic rings. They were doing a choreographed musical/water performance and lots of people were there enjoying the show. It was cool! I should have taken a video. But here's a picture at least!


This park is right next to the CNN building and other attractions like the Aquarium and World of Coca-Cola. I couldn't believe the Coke placed charged $16 for adult admission! I mean, how much money have I given them over the years by buying their products, and now they want me to pay that much to go learn about their products and be enticed to buy more merchandise? Uh, I think I'll pass.

For dinner, I decided that I should try a traditional southern favorite, chicken & waffles. Gladys Knight's restaurant was in the neighborhood, so I went there. The first couple bites were kind of strange, but then the flavors started to grow on me. My verdict is that, of course people would like this combo! It has salt, sugar, and fat - all the things our brains supposedly crave.



On the way back to the airport, two different possibly homeless people asked me for money. One guy asked for "about $3" so he could get into an overnight shelter. (Sidebar: do homeless people actually have to pay to use shelters in Atlanta?) Then, a woman got on the train on with a sign saying she is Deaf, can I please give her money, God bless, etc. I shook my head "no." She moved on down the car. No one obliged. This behavior seemed to be a violation of the posted "No Panhandling" on MARTA rule...that was also odd.

My conclusion on Atlanta: your Metro is sketchier than DC's, but your food is tasty and most people seem friendly and helpful. Maybe I'll have to come back and visit longer next time! But I'll definitely bring Das Fenster so he can lay the smack down on any squirrely purse vendors.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, you remembered something from when you were 12! Did you eat the waffle plain? I am glad to see that Georgians noticed you are lovely, and sweet like honey! We've known that for a long time! Bringing FretFroSki sounds like and excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete