Friday, July 5, 2013

Honoring Veterans

Up until about a week ago, I was unaware that all the branches of the military have their own "theme song" complete with lyrics. We recently attended a concert called "Patriotic Pops." Towards the end, the band played each song, and the veterans from that branch were supposed to stand up. So, I heard all of them and realized that I recognized the Army, Air Force, and Marine songs from somewhere in my pop culture knowledge bank. (Sorry, Navy and Coast Guard.) Also, I found out that the words to the official Army song are not "and the caissons go rolling along." My, what an informative concert!

Then tonight at a local 4th of July event, the band did the same thing - played all the songs and asked the veterans to stand and be recognized. Is this like a normal Tennessee thing? It's new to me!! They never even did this at the "Capitol Fourth" celebrations I attended in Washington DC.

1 comment:

  1. This same thing happens at the Capitol concert on PBS. Maybe it is the Memorial Day concert. But we have seen/heard it several times. Pretty nice to watch and hear and honor the vets.

    ReplyDelete