Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Creativity is Dangerous

Since I'm only working 5 hours a day now, and my commute consists of walking from the living room to the spare bedroom/office, I have a lot of free time on my hands. I've been trying out a few new recipes to keep myself busy. Last night I decided to make a roast chicken, but this was my first time using this method from Cooks Illustrated magazine. The recipe called for pre-heating a pan in the oven at 450 degrees, then transferring the (whole) chicken to the pan, breast up, to allow the thigh meat to get a head start on cooking.

I probably should have realized this recipe required maneuvers that are above my skill level.

When the oven beeped that it was preheated and ready to roast, I grabbed a pot holder and took the pan out of the oven. I was using a 12 inch oven-safe skillet. The chicken was covered in olive oil and herbs/spices, sitting on a cutting board next to the sink. So I was met with a dilemma - how do I transfer this raw chicken into the pan without a) burning myself, b) burning a hole in the counter top or c) spreading salmonella everywhere?

I tried to use a big pair of tongs to pick up the chicken, but that didn't work because I couldn't get a good grip. Then I tried using the tongs to slide the chicken off the cutting board, but it didn't want to slide very smoothly. Then I dropped the pan on the faux-wood floor. So, I decided to pick up the cutting board and oh-so-delicately plop the chicken in the pan. Sizzzzzzle! That was a hot pan. Chicken/oil droplets sprayed all over the place. (So much for avoiding salmonella contamination.)

It was time to get the bird in the oven. Still wearing a pot holder on my left hand, I picked up the skillet and turned to the oven. But the pan was a lot heavier now with a chicken in it. So without really thinking, I put my right hand on the handle to steady the load. OUCH! That was not a good idea! My palm made pretty significant contact with the edge of the handle which, as you may recall, just came out of a 450 degree oven.

Quickly, I plunged my hand under running water. That's what you're supposed to do for a burn, right? But I had a feeling this burn was pretty bad. Das Fenster was still at work and wouldn't be home for at least 30-45 minutes. I started to think through all the worst case scenarios in my head. What if I went into shock? Should I call am ambulance? We don't even have our new insurance cards yet. What urgent care am I supposed to go to? I don't have any friends here who can help me! I JUST BURNED A HOLE IN MY HAND AND AM GOING TO DIE OF SEPSIS FROM MY SALMONELLA-CONTAMINATED WOUND!!!

Trying to regain control of my swirling thoughts, I resumed dinner prep one-handed with my other hand on a towel-wrapped ice pack. Aside: cutting potatoes with one hand is challenging. I looked up advice online about burn first aid. The Mayo Clinic said ice was bad. Curses. So I switched to holding a jar of mustard that had been in the fridge. It had a nice cooling effect. But as soon as I took the jar away, my hand felt like it was on fire. When the mustard got too warm, I traded it for a can of mango juice. Then I got a glass of ice water and held that for awhile. (I decided ice water was ok, since it's not pure ice.)

After grossing myself out via a Google Image search for "burns," I decided my injury was probably a 1st or 1.5 degree burn. That's good, but it still hurt. A LOT. It had been about 5 hours since the incident and was getting to be time for bed, but I couldn't bear to be away from a cold source for more than 30 seconds. What was I going to do???

The internet came to my rescue when I found this: Aluminum Foil Treatment for Burns

I don't even know how I wound up on this website, but after reading several strangers raving about how aluminum foil eliminates burn pain, I decided to give it a try. I slathered some aloe vera gel on the affected area and wrapped my hand in a large piece of foil. For good measure, I put a sock over my hand to keep the foil in place. Then, I waited. (The waiting was hard, because our cable also went out last night. It's also no fun to play on your phone with one hand. It was not a good day.) After a few minutes, the pain had definitely diminished. I no longer felt like I wanted to chop my hand off. After about 10 minutes, the pain was almost gone - maybe a twinge now and then, but nothing compared to how horrible it had been. To be safe, I left my hand wrapped in foil overnight (that was weird...), and when I woke up, I felt great! The burned spot is just a little tender today.

Here is some photographic evidence that it's important to be careful when trying new recipes.



1 comment:

  1. OH, my, that was QUITE a story!! :-) May I offer a suggestion? Try getting a plate out , pick up the raw chicken, put it on the plate, carry it over to the stove where the hot pan is sitting on a burner. Put the plate down on the stove. Pick up that raw chicken and gingerly place it in the hot pan. Open the oven door. Put on two hot pad mittens. Hold the handle with one padded hand and the side of the skillet with the other.
    Put the skillet into the oven. Close the door. Wash your hands of course between all of this. Pat your back with your clean hand. You did it! Touching a raw chicken carcass will not be lethal.

    I have never heard of the aluminum foil trick, but makes sense since it conducts heat. I will have to try it. Glad to hear your hand is feeling better. Now avoid cutting off the very end tip of your finger like I did while chopping partly frozen chicken!! xo :-)

    ReplyDelete