Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Things You Learn from Meetup

Before I met Das Fenster, my idea of a fun boardgame was Taboo or Scrabble. I had no idea that there was a whole universe of other games out there with categories like "strategy" or "Euro." In Seattle, my opinion of the game groups DF went to was that most of the people there were socially awkward nerds who couldn't make friends in a normal manner, so they joined these groups of misfits. (Except for DF, of course - he joined the groups because he was new to the city and didn't know anyone, and he was the "cool dude" outlier!) I attended numerous game gatherings in our years there but was often turned off by the fierce competition, the geekiness to which I could not relate, and general unfriendliness.

Now, here we are in a new city, and we have to make friends somehow. We aren't hermits! So yeah, we've joined a couple Meetup.com groups for gamers, as in, people who like to play board games. Who would've thought that I'd eventually start calling myself a gamer?? And the weird thing is that, so far, I've actually enjoyed going to these gatherings! Most of the people are very friendly and welcoming. They like to play all sorts of different games, are mainly looking to have fun, have good snacks, don't seem like creepers...

Last night we played this new game called 2 Rooms and a Boom. I think it's still in the Kickstarter/production phase, but one of the group members got an advance copy or something. It was fun and intriguing! It's kind of like an advanced version of Mafia. One team has a "bomber" and the other team has a "president." Your goal changes depending on what team you're on and what your role is. I'm not the best at being secretive/deceptive, but it was fun anyway to try and figure out all the pieces of the puzzle. And each round is timed to keep the game moving along quickly. Read more about it on Board Game Geek!

(OMG, I can't believe I just linked to BGG. Maybe *I'm* the nerd now...)

No comments:

Post a Comment