Thursday, November 17, 2016

Fashion Sense

I've never been what you'd call a fashion icon. In previous years, I tried to look presentable and semi-hip when going out in public, but really, I've never been all that into keeping up with the latest styles. My biggest devotion to a trend probably happened in 6th grade when I was really into wearing two different colors of slouch socks to coordinate with my outfit. And when I worked in DC, I did my best to dress professionally, which to me meant shopping at Banana Republic, Ann Taylor/LOFT, and their outlet stores.

As for my children, well, they aren't going to learn an amazing sense of style from their parents. So far their wardrobe consists of whatever people have been kind enough to buy us or give as hand-me-downs. And I have absolutely no problem with this! They used to grow out of their clothes in a couple months. Their growth rate has slowed a bit now, but they still aren't going to get more than about 6 months out of any item of clothing. So really, if Grandma wants to buy up the clearance rack at Kohl's and send it our way, we are more than happy to dress the kids in whatever shows up on our doorstep!

Here's how I decide what the boys should wear:

  • Is it weather appropriate?
  • Is it appropriate to the occasion/location/function?
  • Does it look reasonably non-girl-ish? (I'm fine with gender neutral)
  • Is it free from giant holes and disgusting stains? (small holes and minor stains are fine)
  • Is it different from what brother is wearing? (I don't like to dress them identically, because I confuse myself) 

Pretty low bar, you see :)

A few months ago, DF and I started volunteering in the church nursery with kids slightly older than ours. It's given me a whole new window into children's fashion in the South. One Sunday, we had four boys in class, and all four of them were wearing the same sandals. How did their parents all coordinate that? Saltwater sandals must be the Southern way. The boys and girls in our class always look so...fancy. It's the only word I can come up with. They're always wearing something monogrammed with their initials, or smocked, or with a frilly collar, etc. Meanwhile, my kids are sporting khaki shorts and polo shirts, because those are their nice clothes.

I'm glad I have boys. If my twins were girls, I think I'd feel more pressure to dress them stylishly, just because of gender stereotypes. Or knowing my luck, I'd have wound up with two girls who were obsessed with fashion! So far, the boys haven't exhibited any particular style preference. They think it's fun to wear socks and shoes and also to dump all their clean clothes on the floor to play peek-a-boo with them. Ok, I can handle that.

No comments:

Post a Comment