Saturday, November 26, 2016

Motherhood: the Highlights

Another topic suggested by my mother today - she wants to know what I enjoy about motherhood. Why do I suspect she put forth this theme so she can comment on my FB page with everything she enjoys about being a mom/grandma? Ha ha, just kidding...sort of ;)

Frequent readers may have noticed I have an affinity for anxiety. A penchant for paranoia. I wallow in worry. You get the point - at times, it's challenging for me to turn off my whirring, neurotic brain and just be happy in the moment. Plus, being a mom of twins is so intense! Everything is happening x2, so even when one kid is having a good day, the other one might be flailing around on the floor for some unknown reason. But we do have our good moments. I shall try to focus on them!

Having a front-row seat to human development. The last baby I spent a significant amount of time with was my brother who's 13 years younger than me, but he's all grown up now. So yeah, it's been awhile; I'd forgotten a lot of baby stuff since his newborn days. It is kind of amazing how quickly babies grow, develop, and learn new things. I look back at photos/videos/blogs of Gus and Gibson from last year, and wow, they have changed so much! (I'm sorry, I know it's a cliche; I don't know how else to say it...) I mean, they used to need me to do literally everything for them. Now they're feeding themselves, helping pick up their toys, and walking around the house. Lately they've gotten really good at following directions, such as "we need to change your diaper - go to your bedroom." Whoa! How did that happen?? I just said the same things to them over and over, and one day their brains were able to interpret the meaning of the words. Isn't that cool?

I also like to watch them figure stuff out, like how to open/close things, find hidden items, escape from under a chair where they thought they were trapped... You can see the little wheels in their head turning!

Laughter. The boys tend to be pretty happy, overall. They love to laugh, giggle, and squeal with joy. One of my favorites is when they make each other laugh. This will often happen when they're sitting in their high chairs. One twin will do something funny, like tap himself on the head with a cracker. The other one will laugh and follow suit. Then they're both sitting there, smashing crackers in their hair and giggling uproariously. It's pretty cute :)

Hope for the future. This one's a bit more abstract, but especially in the midst of political discontent in the US, I find that my kids provide me with something concrete to focus on. Though I personally have little power to impact national election trends, I have a huge amount of influence on my two little boys. By the way I love and care for them, I can teach them to be kind, think deeply, solve problems, and demonstrate empathy. And I know lots of other parents who want the same for their children. So it gives me hope that positive change is possible, even if it's small and incremental. The revolution begins at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment