Saturday, November 12, 2016

Flying in a Hot Air Balloon

One of the coolest experiences of my life so far was flying over Arches National Park in a hot air balloon. It was three years ago when DF and I were on our way moving to Memphis. We'd packed a moving truck with all our earthly possessions and set out from Seattle in search of adventure. Before we left, we decided that we'd spring for a hot air balloon trip along the way because it's something I always wanted to do. (DF thought it would be cool too, though it wasn't on his "bucket list.")

We only had our moving truck for transportation - we'd sold our car before departing Seattle. So early on the morning of the flight, we chugged up the hill from Moab, UT to the meeting location just outside of town. It was a clear, chilly May day as we boarded the bus with our fellow fliers to bounce down a rocky road to the launch site.



The whole experience was breathtaking and beautiful. I'm not scared of heights, and the basket felt really stable, so I just relaxed and enjoyed the view. There's no better way to appreciate those amazing rock formations than flying over them, in my opinion!








I mean, let's be realistic, I'm never going to hike into terrain that remote and difficult to traverse :)

If you ever have the opportunity to fly in a hot air balloon, do it! I highly recommend it, especially if the the flight path goes over somewhere you wouldn't be able to experience otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment