Sunday, November 8, 2015

Opting Out, For Awhile

Yesterday I pondered the lack of paid maternity leave in the US and why I quit my job to stay home with the kids. After I posted, I realized I had other reflections about taking some time off work. Since I'm almost out of time to post for Day 8, I figured "leftovers" were as good as anything else.

My prior job was Senior Program Manager for a non-profit working with international youth exchange. I'd been there for 6 years, including the last 2 years working from home after we moved to Memphis. When I was pregnant, I kind of wondered if I could keep working and maybe hire a nanny to come to the house and watch the kids. Now that the babies are actually here, I realize that idea was insane! There is no way that scenario would work because two babies are very distracting. If I had wanted to keep working, I would've needed to send the twins to daycare, or I would've had to find an office space somewhere outside the home.

Another major issue is sleep deprivation. I am so exhausted all of the time because I'm not getting much sleep. My job used to tire me out pre-kids, so I really don't know how other moms do it - how do you go back to work with a baby at home? Do you drink a ton of coffee?

In short, I'm content to be taking a break from the world of paid employment. But at the same time, I'm kind of concerned about how I'll eventually re-enter the working world. How will I know when the time is right? What kind of job would I be able to get with a big gap on my resume? I've heard that you're supposed to try and keep your marketable skills current so you are still employable once you want to return to work. My former job involved a lot of problem solving; I think motherhood will keep those skills sharp, at least!

File under: NaBloPoMo Day 8

No comments:

Post a Comment