Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Raising Kids in the South

We live in Memphis for now. The nature of DF's job is such that we'll probably move again in a couple years. Next destination? Unknown. As long as we live in the South, I figure I better raise my boys appropriately for this environment. Because really, what is parenting besides teaching your kids your culture?

However, not being a Southerner myself puts me at somewhat of a disadvantage. I've tried to observe what children do here, but I'm sure I've missed some essential details. Perhaps as we start hanging around other kids more often, I'll pick up more pointers.

This is what I know so far:

  • Children address adults as "sir" and "ma'am." An adult is anyone over age 16 or so, I think. 
  • A kid does not reply to a question with a simple "yes" or "no." They should always say, "Yes, ma'am" or "No, sir." 
  • Children call adults Mr. and Miss + given name. Example: Mr. John, Miss Susie. I haven't heard much "Mr. Jones" or "Miss Smith" except for in a school setting. Also, always use "Miss" for a woman regardless of her marital status.
  • Boys should be helpful, such as opening doors for elderly people, carrying heavy items for ladies, etc.
  • Boys should have long-ish hair that can be artfully styled, especially for family photo shoots. No buzz cuts!
  • From a young age, children should be taught to cheer for the SEC football team with which the family's loyalties lie. (Not really sure what do about this one since we have no ties to college football around here...maybe we can just cheer for the Memphis Tigers even though they aren't in the SEC.) 

Southern readers, anything else I need to know?

File under: NaBloPoMo Day 4

No comments:

Post a Comment