Monday, November 23, 2015

The Soothing Sound of the Dishwasher

Last night, I was washing the dishes after putting the boys to bed. It reminded me of my own childhood, when I used to lay in bed listening to my mom either cooking or cleaning in the kitchen. I remember feeling safe and secure with the lullaby of running water and clanging pans in the background. I think I usually drifted off before silence fell over the house. Once the noises stopped, it meant everyone was in bed. That's when I would start to get a little worried - why was I still awake, if the rest of my family was asleep?

I wonder what noises my kids will find soothing. We got them a sound machine to (allegedly) help them sleep better. I'm using the "ocean" setting currently. The first time we take them to the beach they'll probably fall asleep the minute we open the car door :)

These days, I prefer quiet for sleeping. If I hear weird sounds coming from the kitchen, it probably means the cockroaches are having a dance party...!


File under: NaBloPoMo Day 23

No comments:

Post a Comment