Tuesday, November 17, 2015

What I Like About Memphis

Now that I've lived in Memphis over 2 years, I'll share with you some things I've come to appreciate about this city.

The food
Oh, the food! Southern cuisine has a delicious reputation for a reason, y'all. So much fried goodness! And even some non-fried options. Among my favorite restaurants are Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken, Casablanca (Mediterranean/Middle Eastern), and One & Only BBQ. Since moving here, I've also discovered banana pudding, fried okra, and boiled greens, and they are all wonderful! I'm often glad that I'm not a vegetarian because so many items here are made with pork (ham), including veggie side dishes.

Fall
I can't say I like the weather year-round in Memphis (summers get a bit oppressive), but fall is pretty much the perfect season. The days are pleasant and sometimes crisp, the leaves change slowly and artistically, and most of the time, the sun shines brightly. There are lots of festivals and outdoor events in September/October, plus football games galore.

Southern Culture
I've really enjoyed living in a new culture within the United States. Before I moved to the South, I didn't know that many southerners and the ones I did know I mostly met in DC nearly a decade ago. Now that we've lived here for awhile I feel like I understand the South a lot better. I'm not saying I understand all of it or the centuries of history that exist here, but I've figured out how to leave a gathering, that I shouldn't try to rely on public transportation, and the many uses of y'all. I like how people are so friendly here. It's not strange to make small talk with random passers-by; in fact, it's kind of expected.

Music
We haven't gotten out to many live shows in Memphis, but the music we have caught has been great. I also love the musical heritage of this city with BB King, Johnny Cash, and all the other legends who've made a name for themselves here. We've got tons of museums to document this part of history.

Positive Attitudes
This one certainly is not universal across the region, but I like the people who have a can-do, pro-Memphis attitude. Sure, the city has its issues, but it's not without hope and bright spots. Some of my favorites are the I Love Memphis blog and Choose 901. Once I emerge from the fog of newborn-hood, I hope to get back into volunteering and do my part to help improve the city, too.


File under: NaBloPoMo Day 17

No comments:

Post a Comment