Thursday, November 19, 2015

5 Month Mark

Today is the boys' 5 month birthday! My, how far they've come from the tiny little guys who were whisked away to the NICU right after being born. Their adjusted age is 3 months, based on their due date rather than birth date.

Some of their newest skills are grabbing and shaking a toy, bringing the toy to their mouth, trying to shove their entire hand in their mouth to chew on, cooing/talking (well, they don't really say "coo" - it's more like "gaah! laa! ooo!"), and holding up their heads without flopping around.

They have stopped sleeping so much during the day which is leaving me at a bit of a loss of what to do with them, since they don't entertain themselves too well yet (besides the hand chewing). They do still doze off for at least a little bit after each feeding but I have a feeling that pattern will soon be coming to an end. So far, they are pretty good sleepers at night. In fact last night, they slept for about 9 hours. Whoa! I wonder if that was just a fluke, or if their brains were like, "oh, I see we are now approaching the 3 month adjusted age mark, so it's time to start sleeping longer"...?

I don't think they quite understand yet that there are 2 of them. Sometimes I'll hold one up to look at the other one and they will kind of smile or make noises at each other. But then I'll lay them on the play mat and they sort of punch/kick each other without seeming to realize that's another baby over there, not just some random lump getting in the way of their flailing.

DF and I are still pretty tired all the time, but it's not the bone-rattling exhaustion of early newbornhood. We're starting to get our sea legs about us with parenting. I do start to panic if I think about how much responsibility we've undertaken, so I just try to take it one day at a time and not stress out right now about where they should go to kindergarten.

These last 5 months have been a whirlwind, and I suspect it will only get crazier as time goes on!


File under: NaBloPoMo Day 19

No comments:

Post a Comment