Tuesday, November 24, 2015

What I Like(d) About Seattle

Since I gave Memphis a shout-out last week, I figured I'd note some of the things I liked about living in Seattle. I lived there two different times from the late 90s till we moved south two years ago.

Greenery
The PNW is full of evergreen trees so no matter the season, it's always green somewhere. Winter is especially green as a layer of moss starts to grow on damp surfaces like sidewalks. I didn't appreciate the greenery until I lived in DC for a few years where everything dies in the winter.

"Green"-ness
Seattle is an eco-friendly city. Recycling is required by law! Restaurants have to use compostable to-go containers (no styrofoam!), and people in general are into reducing and reusing as well.

Diversity
It seemed like there were people from nearly every country who called the Seattle area home. It's a big area for refugee resettlement, in addition to being an immigration magnet for jobs because of the tech industry. The city has as Asian influence that I definitely miss. I feel like I hardly ever even see Asian people in Memphis.

Food and Drink
Just a few of the things I miss include: Ivar's salmon and chips, good teriyaki (made with that thick, syrupy sauce), Hawaiian food, coffee snobbery being a common and accepted way of life, Mac & Jack's African Amber, and wineries nearby.

Landscape
I love that you can see the Olympic and Cascade mountain ranges from Seattle. I can still picture driving west on 50th Ave with the Olympics in front of me and the Cascades in my rearview mirror...ahh, so glorious. One of my favorite views in the city is at Sunset Hill Park. If I had millions of dollars, I would totally buy a view house in that neighborhood.


File under: NaBloPoMo Day 24

No comments:

Post a Comment